Tuesday 20 November 2012

Comfort cocoa

I have to admit I'm struggling to stick to my usual healthy habits at the moment. The cold weather and it being dark when I leave work just makes me want to skip the gym and rush home to cosy up on the sofa with some naughty comfort food.

Having had chocolate cravings all day I decided that rather than raid the sweet cupboard this evening I'd satisfy my desire for comfort food with a healthy version of hot chocolate. Hot chocolate is usually a sugar and dairy laden calorie bomb, but this dairy free recipe sweetened with agave still feels like a treat without sending you off on a blood sugar rollercoaster. Plain cocoa is also a good source of antioxidants and it's only really when it gets mixed with milk and sugar to make chocolate that it becomes bad for us.

So if you're also need of something comforting try this out:

Emilie's home comforts hot chocolate:

In a saucepan heat 1 cup of Kara Coconut milk.

As it heats up whisk in 1 heaped tsp of pure cocoa powder (I like bourneville), 1 teaspoon pure vanilla essence (I use Ndali) and 2 teaspoons of agave syrup.

Bring to simmering point and serve.

Zen dog also informs me that you can make a great latte with coconut milk. Again heat up in a pan, or microwave if you're at work, and then stir in a shot of fresh espresso (decaf or regular). Yummo!
------------------

No comments:

Post a Comment