Sunday 20 May 2012

Coconut Chia porridge

Still experiencing ridiculously cold weather I couldn't face a cold breakfast yesterday and really fancied something warning. Sadly going gluten free and not tolerating 'gluten free' oats I have to satisfy myself with porridge alternatives such as rice or quinoa flakes which can be a little bland.

However I got some new porridge inspiration thanks to goop, Gwyneth Paltrows blog.  It covers all sorts of lifestyle advice, mainly for those with pretty deep pockets, but there are some good health tips on there. So it turns out that I have more in common with Gwyneth than I thought, and she too can't eat gluten, so helpfully posted some super healthy gluten free breakfast suggestions including a chia 'pudding' using Omega 3 and fibre rich Chia seed (which you can buy in Holland & Barrett).  This isn't a hot breakfast, but it inspired me to devise my own recipe for a hot chia porridge - here it is:

Coconut Chia Porridge:
Mix 1/4 cup of chia seed, 1/4 cup of dessicated coconut, 1 tsp of non-sugar vanilla essence (Ndali), 1 cup of rice milk in a bowl, stir thoroughly.  Set aside for 15 minutes for the chia and coconut to absorb the liquid, or leave overnight in the fridge ready for morning.
After 15 minutes you can heat up the porridge mix on the hob or microwave and then add your usual porridge toppings: mixed berries + cinnamon, grated apple and chopped hazelnuts, banana and a drizzle of honey - whatever takes your fancy.

No comments:

Post a Comment