Sunday 16 September 2012

Intolerance tip off

I'm intolerant to various degrees to quite a few foods. Some I can eat occasionally without major ill effect and some have more instant effects.
Either way various food intolerance tests along the way haven't identified them all and instead I've worked them out through the powers of deduction and elimination. In case any of you share any of these symptoms or allergies I thought I'd share how I worked them out.

Gluten - major tiredness after meals containing alot of gluten, bloating, water retention, all went after two weeks of no gluten
Dairy - skin breakouts, headaches, water retention, diarhoea. I thought this was just a lactose intolerance so allowed myself hard cheese and butter for a long time which helped my digestion, but when I gave it up entirely my skin totally cleared up
Raw onions/raw chillies/rocket and mustard - this was easy to work out - I get a headache within 10 minutes of eating a meal with either in. Interestingly these also give me a blood sugar low 20-30 minutes after eating them, which means fatigue and major sugar cravings. I've known garlic induce a similar response in others, so watch out for sudden blood sugar drops as a sign of an intolerance.
Oranges - proper allergy, tingly eyes and throat, hot face, and in extreme cases, sweating!

I can as it happens eat cooked onion and chilli, but sadly as a consequence of my raw intolerances I couldn't enjoy hot doc's Mango Salsa this weekend but it went down a treat with some homemade burgers so thought I'd share it:
One mango, peeled, deseeded and diced into 1cm cubes
1/2 a red onion, raw, diced
1 red chilli, de-seeded and finely diced
100g roasted cashew nuts, roughly chopped
Coriander leaves, whole, one palmful

Mix in a bowl, leave to sit for 15 minutes, then serve.

Goes well with homemade burgers or any steamed or grilled white fish.

No comments:

Post a Comment