Thursday 15 December 2011

Tip #5 having your cake and eating it ... a bit later!

Christmas is a time to indulge and even I like to relax the rules for Christmas week - having a few glasses of champers or port, some mince pies and stollen and raiding the cheese board!

Something that takes the shine off it though is getting to new years eve and not fitting into your best party frock having gained more than a couple of christmas pounds. I read in Grazia (admittedly not quite QI) that on average women gain 5Lbs over Christmas.

An extra 5lbs would rule out half my wardrobe and leave me wearing leggings and jogging bottoms with baggy tops, so I follow this simple rule as best I can to enjoy my Christmas treats without turning into a dumpling:

Don't eat if you're not hungry

Your appetite is your own personal calorie counter - if you're eating richer foods and exercising less your appetite will naturally regulate down.

Mince pies being handed out at work? Save yours til your peckish, you'll enjoy it more.

Find that your Christmas dinner is three times the size of your normal dinner? Serve yourself little portions of everything so you enjoy all the flavours but leave some room for pudding.

And don't waste any calories eating foods you don't like - that's my license for you not to eat your sprouts!

Above all make sure you enjoy your indulgences, try and buy the best quality treats (home made is even better) and enjoy every mouthful. If somethings under par put it to one side and find something else to eat.

On that note I'd like to wish all NITC readers a wonderful Christmas and a healthy and happy New Year. I'll be back in January with tips on how to make a healthy start to 2012.
Best wishes
Em
------------------

No comments:

Post a Comment