Tuesday 16 October 2012

Total washout

Although I feel consistently pretty healthy I like to give myself an annual health-check to check everything is as it should be and help me make beneficial tweaks to my diet and lifestyle to keep me on track.

This involves a range of laboratory testing to check my mineral and vitamin levels as well as testing various biochemical pathways and organ function.

In order to collect accurate results these tests usually require a 'washout' period beforehand where you stop taking all supplements (and medications where you're on them and it's safe to come off them). This is to get a good picture of your base health level without the help of whatever drugs or nutrients you like to take.

I'm now four days into my washout and really starting to feel it. I feel less energetic, am getting tired more quickly and need more sleep. My concentration isn't as good as usual and I'm craving more sugar and carbs.
I take a fair amount of supplements so it's no surprise to me that I'm feeling worse for cutting them out. Work's also been hectic so I reckon I'm using my b vitamins quicker than I can eat them which is why my energy levels have dropped.

It's only a five day washout and I'll be glad when it's over and I can get back to my usual regime.

I have to say that over time I've forgotten how different (and not in a good way) I felt before I reformed my diet and starting taking some comprehensive supplements. This washout serves as a useful reminder of why it's all very much worth the money and effort!

------------------

No comments:

Post a Comment