Monday 8 October 2012

Simple as 1, 2, 3

With all the diets, cookery books, latest superfoods and other fads out there it's easy to get confused as to what to eat. I've often had and witnessed decision paralysis in the face of a restaurant menu or stood at a fridge door, unable to decide what to eat.

When hit with such paralysis I revert to this simple formula and then eat whatever fits within it.  If I'm at home this might mean something pretty basic, but it always leave me feeling satisfied and knowing that I've made a good choice.

1) Choose a healthy protein, for me this is usually tofu, pulses or fish. If you feel like some meat go for something lean.

2) Choose a healthy carb to go with it - aim for something low GI or at the minimum not processed, new potatoes, sweet potatoes, brown or basmati rice are my favourites, bulgar wheat and quinoa are also good choices.

3) Make sure you have at least one portion of veg, even if it's just a salad starter or a raw carrot to
chomp on whilst you cook.

If you want to make it even healthier make sure there's some healthy fat in there - have some oily fish, sprinkle on some nuts or seeds or add a drizzle of olive oil.

No comments:

Post a Comment