I'm not a big TV watcher but I do still enjoy an evening on the sofa watching the box every now and then. It's nice to have some sofa snack food to go with my TV viewing, but as per yesterday's blog it doesn't have to be unhealthy junk food to go with the junk TV - there are plenty of enjoyable snack foods that aren't full of saturated fats and salt.
The problem when you're eating and watching TV is that you can end up eating way more food than you really need, which is why I generally avoid it and don't recommend it to clients. When I am sofa snacking the key is to keep off the carbs ... Nachos are my total downfall, but there are plenty of other tasty lower carb sofa snacks:
- hummus, guacamole or salsa with carrot and cucumber sticks to dip
- fruit bowl to pick at - strawberries, grapes, melon sticks, have on it's own or serve with greek or soya yoghurt, or for a more decadent snack melt some dark chocolate and use it as a fondu dip
- unsalted nuts and dried fruit mix
- healthy flour free cookies such as these peanut butter cookies from elena's pantry
- have Appletizer, instead of coke or diet coke or make some virgin cocktails with fresh fruit juices instead of having a glass of wine
Another top tip to bring the grazing to an end, is to snack til you're satisfied and then brush your teeth - once you're minty fresh you definitely won't want to keep snacking.