Wednesday 13 February 2013

Lent - old skool style

I love pancakes, infact if I ever ended up on death row and had to pick a last meal they would probably be it.

But last night I didn't have pancakes for dinner. Partly because I was out, but also because having been on a low sugar diet for a couple of weeks I actually didn't feel like them. This was really odd - thinking I wanted them but not actually wanting them.

This just shows how addictive sweet foods are but also how quickly you can adjust your palate.

In the past I've suggested all sorts of different things to give up for lent. But this year I recommend going back to the old school lent and give up sugar. Traditionally you're also meant to give up butter and eggs, but sugar is quite enough. Infact giving up sugar is one of the best dietary changes you can make for your health in the long-run.

If you're onboard with this then up til easter you need to avoid anything sweet tasting other than fruit (no cheating with sweeteners) or anything containing more than 5g added sugar per 100g.

I'm not going to lie to you, it's going to be hard, but by the end of it you'll have so much control over your sugar cravings that you might not even feel like your easter eggs!
------------------

No comments:

Post a Comment