Tuesday 23 August 2011

Back on Track

As per yesterday's blog, even the super healthy can have their diets go a bit astray and I'm no exception. Usually it's either around holidays when it's hard to stick to my usual diet or when I'm tired and stressed and don't have time to cook properly. So when my diet starts to get more naughty than nutritious I turn to Dr Joshi's Holistic Detox
to get me back on track.

I don't usually follow Joshi's regime for a full 21 days, as per the book. But I find a week of his low-sugar, low-toxin diet gets my diet back in balance and my energy and health back on track.

The book itself is definitely worth reading cover to cover if you're looking to kick start a healthy regime, but the essentials are as following. Depending on how healthy your diet is already this list may look a bit daunting, but there are plenty of great, tasty foods that you can eat that don't fall under this list so it's not as difficult to stick to as you may thing.

Dr Joshi fundamentals:
- avoid all red meat
- avoid all sugar
- avoid all dairy (with the exception of natural yoghurt or sheeps/goats yoghurt)
- avoid all wheat
- avoid all caffeine
- avoid all shellfish
- avoid all processed foods (with the exception of gluten or wheat free bread)
- avoid foods containing yeast and vinegar including Marmite, soya sauce and salad vinaigrette as well as peanuts and pistachios which can encourage yeast overgrowth
- eat plenty of vegetables and have vegetable juices (but avoid all deadly nightshade vegetables)
- avoid all fruit other than ripe bananas (inline with my blog on fruit fermentation last week)
- drink plenty of water and non-caffeinated herbal teas (green tea is also allowed)
- eating slowly and chewing each mouthful at least 8 times
- eat smaller main meals and have snacks inbetween to maintain energy

No comments:

Post a Comment