Thursday 14 July 2011

French lesson deux: Accept nothing but the best

There's a reason you won't find French people eating soya cheese or low calorie diet yoghurt - simply that it doesn't taste as good as the original.

You see for the French eating and pleasure go hand in hand, so if something doesn't taste good they just won't eat it. This means no processed chocolate bars, ready-sliced loaves full of preservatives or unnaturally flavoured crisps (no cheesey wotsits)!

In the same way that if I'm going to indulge (usually in pudding) I want to eat the best of whatever it is I fancy - the French apply this approach to everything they eat.

Essentially if something doesn't taste good they'll discard it and eat something else. This doesn't just apply to indulgent treats, fruit must be ripe and juicy, vegetables tender and flavoursome, bread freshly baked, fish and meat super fresh.

This means the French are a very demanding consumer, and as a consequence the quality of the groceries in their supermarkets is much higher. Infact during my regular stops to acquire picnics at Carrefour and Intermarche I more than once declared that I wanted to move to France, purely based on the quality of food in the supermarkets. It's just a shame that British consumers aren't so demanding.

So for French lesson number 2: only buy the best ingredients and don't eat any food where you're not positively enjoying how it tastes. I've already discarded this morning breakfast on the basis of taste, although fortunately my lunch made the cut!
------------------

No comments:

Post a Comment