Monday 4 July 2011

Fish fun

My geekiness extends to loving school and learning so today I attended a fish cooking class.

I am sure we've all heeded Emilie's advice to eat at least two portions of oily fish a week and to eat less meat. But it is hard sometimes to put it into practice. Cooking fish is somehow more intimidating than cooking meat. Partly because it hardly ever comes conveniently packaged (M and S is a notable exception), and I find the fish counter quite intimidating.

But one of the great things about living in London is that everything is on your doorstep. So today I learnt how to pick fish in the market and know it is fresh; clean and prepare squid; filllet a fish;  made a delicious thai green fish curry and some fried mackerel.
I'll share the recipes when they email them through. But in the mean time I can highly recommend taking a class to brush up on some skills.

Today's class was at the classrooms culinary academy by Blackfriars station  www.theclass-rooms.co.uk but I have also had good classes at Atelier de chefs http://www.atelierdeschefs.co.uk/

Miss Haribo

No comments:

Post a Comment