Sunday 3 July 2011

Alice in Wonderland Tea

Miss Haribo here

Today I definitely indulged in one of my 20% bad times and had a very delicious afternoon tea with a friend. This was pretty special as (apart from the fact I try to avoid sugar and cake) it was based on the theme of Alice in Wonderland. So  amongst other things there was a 'drink me' bottle with three different flavours, a queen of hearts strawberry mousse, a popping candy ice cream lollipop and another one that turned my mouth hot.

Don't worry, this isn't going to turn into a week of blogging anarchy. There is a nutritional point to this. I spent five years in Barcelona, which is probably the heartland of experimental cooking: Ferran Adria's El Bulli is (was) about an hour away and the city is full of chefs who have trained there and have set up their own places. I love experimental food (I am a member of the experimental food society) so it was great to have food as pure entertainment again (although the sugary delights didn't match up to Espai Sucre in Barcelona).

It reminded me of something Emilie always says: that too often we don't take the time to really sit and enjoy our food; that we often eat whilst watching TV or reading or otherwise being distracted and don't focus on the meal in front of us. Which can lead to more snacking later as your brain apparently doesn't really form the memory of eating (recent study below). Focusing on the food not only makes for a more relaxing experience but also a more memorable one.

So on that note I'm off to add some popping candy to my muesli, yummmmy

Miss Haribo



http://www.telegraph.co.uk/science/science-news/8514093/Eating-in-front-of-television-leads-to-snacking.html


No comments:

Post a Comment