It's so easy to set off on a particular course in life and get carried along with it without periodically stopping to question what you're doing and why you're doing it. In particular once you're on the city treadmill it can be hard to get off.
Guest editor Zen dog is an inspiration to me in terms of taking action and making big bold changes and I have seen the rewards she's gotten both emotionally and physically. Her journey started out with extensive travels (many a farewell party and welcome back drinks!) and more recently has manifested as throwing herself back into education to start a new career in acupuncture.
The days of a job for life and settling down in the town, or even country, you grew up in are long gone and the possibilities in life are endless, but if we keep our blinkers on we could end up missing out on great opportunities.
Partly I think this is down to not letting our imaginations run wild in the same way we did as children. We don't do enough day dreaming and fantasizing (of the innocent kind!) as we get older, everything just gets too realistic.
So why not do a little day dreaming and think about what you really want in life. Here are a few questions to get you thinking:
- what would you do if you only had 12months to live?
- what would you do if you only had 12months to live and had already visited all the places in the world you wanted to?
- what would you study if you had your time again at school/university
- if every job was paid the same wage what job would you do?
- how would you spend the rest of your life if you won the euromillions?
- what one thing would you do if you knew you could not fail?
- who would you like to be if you could be anyone who's ever lived?
Then look at your answers and think about how you could actually achieve them.
OK so maybe you can't become a top gun pilot now you're 40, but you could get your pilots license, perhaps you don't have time for an Eat Pray Love style year out but you could take a month out to travel or live somewhere you've always wanted to experience fully or if you really wanted to study history maybe you could do an open university course.
Broadening your horizons and following your dreams should happen at any stage in life, so make time to day dream and who knows where it will take you!