Monday 5 March 2012

How are you doing?

It's funny how our lives go through similar phases, when I'm having a relaxed easy time often so are my friends, and then when things are hectic my pals are also running around a lot maniacs.

Well right now it's maniac time and life seems to be on fast forward. Which isn't necessarily a bad thing, but it can be easy to start neglecting yourself health wise when your mind is full of distractions.

This is why it's important to periodically check in with yourself - just as if you were going to the GP for a checkup ask yourself some standard questions, it can be pretty revealing:

How are you feeling (today and over the last few weeks)?
Do you have any symptoms (headaches, allergies, digestive symptoms, skin changes)?
Anything new since your last checkup?
How are you sleeping?
Do you feel refreshed and alert when you wake up?
Have you gained or lost weight?
Has your appetite changed?
Any changes in your appearance (skin palor, breakouts/dry patches, hair condition, dry nails)?
How do you feel emotionally?
How has this changed since your last checkup?

Just taking five minutes to answer these questions is worthwhile even if everything is fine, but if something does come up then make sure you give it some attention.

I, for example, have had a cold (not a surprise as everyone at work is ill) but have recovered quickly so that's a good sign that my immune system is working well. My skin and hair are good but I'm looking a bit pale so need to make sure I supplement with some vitamin D (to make up for the lack of sun exposure) and eat some iron rich food. I'm having occasional headaches which is rare for me but most likely a result of rushing around and forgetting to drink enough water and also being a bit more stressed than usual so I need to make a conscious effort to drink more and have at least ten minutes proper downtime every day. I'm sleeping well but feel I need more sleep than usual (totally normal during periods of stress) so I need to make sure I go to bed early.

Remember your body is constantly trying to tell you what it needs whether that's nutrients, rest, relaxation or something else. So even when things are on over-drive make sure you make some time to listen.

------------------

No comments:

Post a Comment