Wednesday 29 September 2010

My secret fear

Whenever I get an injury and can't run, or am too busy to go to the gym, or if unhealthy foods start creeping back into my diet I start to get this fear that I'm going to turn into Kirstie Allie.

I think the fear originated from seeing a particularly unflattering picture of her in tight leggings and a huge t-shirt at one of her more obese moments which stuck in my mind as what would happen if I lost all self control when it came to food. I appreciate that given I've stayed pretty much the same size for almost ten years it's a pretty irrational fear, but nonetheless it kicks me into action.

Interestingly enough Ms Allie came up in conversation with a friend recently who'd apparently read a comment she'd made that she enjoyed getting fat. It's possible that, far from the image of someone with total loss of control when it comes to food, Kirstie actually enjoys periods of deliberate over-indulging and knows she has the self control to lose the weight once she's gained it. She has certainly gained and lost more pounds than anyone I can think of.

So what's the harm if you know you can lose the weight again?

Well unfortunately significant and repeated fluctuations in weight gain take a big toll on your health:

Firstly it's stressful for your heart - for every pound of weight you gain your body has to build hundreds of thousands of capillaries and then your heart has to pump harder to get blood round these capillaries. This is tough enough the first time round but if you keep repeating this by losing and then gaining weight you can wear your heart out.

Secondly, every time you lose weight you place a load on the liver which has to detoxify any toxins that were trapped in the fat. Not so bad as a one off exercise but definitely not something to be repeated over and over.

Thirdly, yoyo dieting ages you - the expanded fat cells stretch your skin and this isn't always reversible leading to saggy chins and bingo wings.

This is why any healthy weight loss regime needs to be sustainable in the long-run and not leave you feeling deprived of your favourite foods so that you don't end up bingeing on them ... or ending up like Kirstie.
------------------

No comments:

Post a Comment