Tuesday 30 March 2010

The caffeine free pick me up

I love sleep .. It's immensely good for you and I wish I could get more of it. Unfortunately having too much to do and too little time, which is probably the case for most Londoners, I rarely get as much as I'd like.

This means I'm not immune to the odd mid afternoon energy slump, which leaves most people reaching for tea or coffee.

Unfortunately, whilst caffeine provides an energy boost in the short-term, in the long-run caffeine is likely to make you more tired, partly because it robs the body of many of the nutrients needed for energy production and is also a diuretic.

Here are my top caffeine free energy boosters:
* Water - dehydration is a common source of fatigue, so I'll often drink 500mls water and usually perk up within 15mins
* Antioxidants - fresh vegetable juices, fruit smoothies or a shot of cherry active all give me a boost if I'm flagging
* Taking a break - if you're busy at work it's easy to go a few hours without a proper break from the screen - I find 10 minutes outside in some natural light helps beat screen fatigue
* Having a stretch - our posture can significantly affect our energy, try slouching in your chair ... you won't feel very energetic ... now have a good stretch and sit tall ... I certainly feel a difference.

If the situation is really dire and caffeine is needed I go for green or white tea, or even a couple of squares of dark chocolate, which have less caffeine than tea and coffee, but enough to perk me up, with the added benefit of containing antioxidants.
------------------

No comments:

Post a Comment